This pre-departure course is open to anyone about to volunteer or work overseas for global development (both short-term and long-term).
What is covered?
This participatory one-day workshop allows participants to explore important issues in volunteering for global development:
• An introduction to key themes in global development
• Exploring the role of the volunteer
• Considering your motivations for volunteering overseas
• Encountering difference: volunteering in an intercultural setting
• Exploring key volunteer attributes and skills
• Considering the Use of Images and Messages in Development
What is the course to achieve?
• Better prepared volunteers
• Understanding of how to be responsible and responsive volunteers
• Awareness of how to manage expectations
• Reflection on how to contribute to social change generally and to the work of the sending agency more specifically
How much does it cost?
€15 Comhlámh member/student or unwaged
€25 non-member (waged)
(Lunch, tea and coffee included)
When and where?
8th June 2013, 10.00 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the Irish Aid
Volunteering and Information Centre, 27-31 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin 1
How can I book?
Please complete the online booking form by clicking here